Saturday, January 16, 2010

From Dr. Roy Shelpman -First Email from my dad on Thursday


Dear family and friends,

I am at a local cyber cafe run by Christian friends. On Tuesday I was at my computer and Ruthie was in the living room with one of our residents. At approximately the quake and centered in Petionville north of the capitol. I thought the house was headed for the mango tree not fealizing the entire ground was moving. It was a 7.3 quake and we have several tremors over 5.3. After one moment the quake was over and I ran to the living room where Ruth was under bookcase and crying. Frantz and I pulled her out and we headed down the spiral stairway. We had a total of 40 tremors as of yesterday. The devastation in Port is horrific. Our national highway has been hit severely and we have not attempted to head for the capitol. We ran down stairs we joined our other residents and rode out a number of tremors. We decided to sleep in the SUV that night and at midnight there was a terrific tremor and for the first time I was sure the whole building would go down. We had slipped up for food items such as permis, passports, a few other items but left my pc because at that point I believed it would stand. At midnight the severe tremor was a precursor of what would happened at 2:30 AM. The tremor was intense ande then we heard the house go down. Immediately men came running from the village calling my name

and they had thought at least some of them thought we slept inside. Who was sleeping? We assured them we were ok and we moved our vehicle up with the rest of our village area. Young people sang most of the night. Gasoline shot up to $10 per gallong for the motorcyle group. People are greedy anywhere there is a tragedy. We had a number of deaths in our town but nothing as devastating as other areas. For now I shall try to come back tomorrow and give a little more detail. If any relief money comes in Larry, we need it ASAP.

WE lost most of our walls even one half of the huge sea wall felland. our house. The walls represent a loss of $60,000 at current costs. The house, we are gradually digging out many valuable items and will do more tomorrow when the tremors are supposed to stop. These aftershocks are even being rated by the Richter scale. People are waiting to use this machine.

Thank you for praying for us.

RoyShelpman



No comments:

Post a Comment